[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:11:22 -0800

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> I think that won't work.  You need to be able to trigger the rotation
>> immediately; five minutes later, the file that the server is still
>> writing to has probably been unlinked after being compressed, and all
>> the output written in those five minutes will have been lost.

> You just have to keep one extra copy uncompressed for it to work (or
> that's the easiest way, anyway). Logrotate at least has an option for
> this: delaycompress.

But our log rotation software doesn't, and we're not going to switch to
logrotate (which doesn't have the other features we want).

I personally don't care, since we'll use syslog.  But I don't think you
want to assume logrotate capabilities.  (If the user has logrotate, they
have a working syslogd that's probably an even better solution.)