[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:22:11 -0500

> If the wish list is open, the ability to log to a pipe so that one could
> use a tool such a cronolog would be convenient for us.

Hello David,

Yes, logging to a pipe is already possible, and what I'm
suggesting would not change that. And, as others have mentioned,
logging to syslog is also already possible, and even preferred
by many sites.

The key point is that currently some sites may be relying on
weekly restarts and the current rename from FileLog to FileLog.old
to avoid filling a disk partition. I think a more sensible approach
in long term, for sites that choose to log to regular files,
is to just let the server append, and let the modern log rotate
tool of your choice deal with the log rotation.

Thanks,
Mike