[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:33:00 -0500

--------------enig9802E40F8AD4B2185BE05322

On 12/2/2010 10:22 PM, Michael Meffie wrote:
>> If the wish list is open, the ability to log to a pipe so that one
>> could use a tool such a cronolog would be convenient for us.
>=20
> Hello David,
>=20
> Yes, logging to a pipe is already possible, and what I'm
> suggesting would not change that. And, as others have mentioned,
> logging to syslog is also already possible, and even preferred
> by many sites.
>=20
> The key point is that currently some sites may be relying on
> weekly restarts and the current rename from FileLog to FileLog.old
> to avoid filling a disk partition. I think a more sensible approach
> in long term, for sites that choose to log to regular files,
> is to just let the server append, and let the modern log rotate
> tool of your choice deal with the log rotation.

Of course that requires that there be a log rotation tool.
I don't think that OpenAFS by default should fill the disk partition
simply because it is permitted to run for years without restarts
and the admin has not configured a log rotation tool.

Since 1.6 is disabling weekly restarts by default, this problem
should be addressed before its release.

Jeffrey Altman