[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Fri, 03 Dec 2010 09:38:43 -0500

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2010, at 03:33, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>> Since 1.6 is disabling weekly restarts by default, this problem
>> should be addressed before its release.
>
> Maybe 1.6 should make logging to syslog the default?

Perhaps. If so, I suggest there is a need to provide an option to have
the servers log to file if desired, and that option could specify
whether the log file should be renamed on startup or not. This would
neatly address the original question of this thread, which is how to
avoid the filelog data being lost by back to back fileserver
restarts/crashes, and how to better support sites that want to use file
based logging.

Mike --