[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Fri, 03 Dec 2010 10:38:48 -0500

--------------enig1C9125C05DECFACFC439CA7A

On 12/3/2010 9:38 AM, Michael Meffie wrote:
> Simon Wilkinson wrote:
>>
>> On 3 Dec 2010, at 03:33, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>=

>> wrote:
>>> Since 1.6 is disabling weekly restarts by default, this problem
>>> should be addressed before its release.
>>
>> Maybe 1.6 should make logging to syslog the default?
>=20
> Perhaps. If so, I suggest there is a need to provide an option to have
> the servers log to file if desired, and that option could specify
> whether the log file should be renamed on startup or not. This would
> neatly address the original question of this thread, which is how to
> avoid the filelog data being lost by back to back fileserver
> restarts/crashes, and how to better support sites that want to use file=

> based logging.

Unfortunately, this option fails to work with "bos getlog" and does
nothing for the sites that wish to use use file logs.  Periodic restarts
is really not a desirable recommendation.  While I believe that
defaulting to syslog probably is the right way to go, I think we need to
consider the impact on documentation and end user best practices.

At the very least I believe that we need to implement an internal log
rollover mechanism based on either max size or max time with a max
number of old logs to be maintained.  Implementing this should not be
overly complicated if we agree that this internal file logging is not
meant to replace full featured log rotation tool chains.

Jeffrey Altman