[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:53:08 -0600

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:43:03 -0500
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> i think salvager output is one of those things that we might want to
> handle with special cases.  if the salvager is run from the fileserver
> i would expect the output to go to the syslog (if the fileserver is
> logging to syslog).  if i run the salvager manually via bos, and bos
> is logging to syslog, i would expect to see the salvager output but
> not get it logged.   similar to the way fsck behaves on a system.
> only the automated runs are logged.  ordinary runs come to the command
> line.

Why lose the logs? It's already annoying enough when I get told a "vos
release" failed and there's no record of the "vos" output. That's going
to make my life difficult when someone can't remember when or what they
salvaged by hand.

> bos getlog should probably just be dropped.

People rely on this; we can't just drop it (at least, not anytime soon).
But to just turn it into something that doesn't work by default, sure.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net