[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:11:49 -0600

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:11:22 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:
>
> > You just have to keep one extra copy uncompressed for it to work (or
> > that's the easiest way, anyway). Logrotate at least has an option for
> > this: delaycompress.
>
> But our log rotation software doesn't, and we're not going to switch
> to logrotate (which doesn't have the other features we want).
>
> I personally don't care, since we'll use syslog.  But I don't think
> you want to assume logrotate capabilities.  (If the user has
> logrotate, they have a working syslogd that's probably an even better
> solution.)

I'm not saying it will work in all situations; just that it's an
improvement over the existing logging mechanism that can be achieved
without changing the signal semantics. Like you said, we don't want to
implement a big featureful logging infrastructure. You want feature X,
go use syslog.

Considering I haven't heard much particularly loud yelling about the
inadequacies of the current logging system, I wouldn't be so concerned
about lacking such functionality.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net