[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:27:38 -0500

On Dec 3, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:00:37 -0500
> chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>=20
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:53:08 -0600
>> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Why lose the logs? It's already annoying enough when I get told a
>>> "vos release" failed and there's no record of the "vos" output.
>>> That's going to make my life difficult when someone can't remember
>>> when or what they salvaged by hand.
>>=20
>> are you sure you dont want auditing instead of attempting to use the
>> logs to reverse engineer what happened.
>=20
> ? An audit log may tell me what command was issued, but won't tell me
> what the salvager actually salvaged (or why it did _not_ salvage
> something), or what it did to which vnodes, etc.

Expanded logging is a separate issue from logfile rotation. Mind you, =
the more useful data we put in the logs, the more critical it becomes =
that none is lost, but it's still a different issue.=