[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 15:56:12 -0600

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:00:37 -0500
chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:53:08 -0600
> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
> > Why lose the logs? It's already annoying enough when I get told a
> > "vos release" failed and there's no record of the "vos" output.
> > That's going to make my life difficult when someone can't remember
> > when or what they salvaged by hand.
>
> are you sure you dont want auditing instead of attempting to use the
> logs to reverse engineer what happened.

? An audit log may tell me what command was issued, but won't tell me
what the salvager actually salvaged (or why it did _not_ salvage
something), or what it did to which vnodes, etc.

> the logs dont tell you who salvaged what -- just that something was
> salvaged.  currently, the information is lost if you manually salvage
> anything more than couple volumes individually.

Currently yes, but not in the new system Mike and everyone else is
proposing.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net