[OpenAFS] problem starting openafs-client in ubuntu 10.04

Sergio Gelato Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:46:43 +0100

* e c [2010-12-04 03:21:03 +0800]:
> Hi guys,
>=20
> I'm having problems running openafs-client on my desktop. I installed it =
using "sudo apt-get install openafs-client", and when I try "sudo service o=
penafs-client start" it just shows:
>=20
> Starting AFS services:.

I would have expected
	Starting AFS services: openafs afsd.
(that's what it does on my Ubuntu 10.04 systems).

Could it be that the kernel module is missing? The openafs-client package
depends on openafs-modules-dkms | openafs-modules-source | openafs-modules2
(and it's only a Recommends:, not a strict dependency) so if you've install=
ed
openafs-modules-source but not built the module, or if you have installed
a package that Provides: openafs-modules2 but for a different kernel versio=
n,
apt-get is not going to complain and the symptoms would be as you describe
(at least as far as the "Starting AFS services:." line goes).

> and waits indefinitely.=20

What does
	pgrep -fl afsd
show?

> The strange thing is, I was able to install and run openafs-client follow=
ing exactly the same steps above on my macbook with exactly the same ubuntu=
 version (64-bit 10.04), same linux kernel (2.6.32-25-generic).=20

And where did the kernel module come from? dkms?

> It doesn't seem to be a connection problem either: I used the same wired =
connection for either one, and when I unplug it from the macbook and try to=
 run openafs-client, it gives an error message of "No existing IP interface=
s...". When I unplug from the desktop system, there's no such error message=
, it only shows the same "Starting AFS services:.". And when using my macbo=
ok I can get full AFS functionality with my college server.
>=20
> Also, I have tried installing openafs-client in other ways that involved =
building some modules, such as (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3D=
1279096) and (http://bobcares.com/blog/?p=3D501) =A0 Before each new attemp=
t I would completely remove any traces of open-afs using complete removal i=
n synaptic and manual deletion of openafs files in the terminal.

This is more interesting; could you describe these attempts in more detail?
It's certainly possible to build openafs-modules-`uname -r` packages with
module-assistant, for example:
	sudo apt-get install module-assistant
	sudo m-a prepare
	sudo m-a -t auto-install openafs=20
Does this fail? If so, what are the error messages?

> Finally,=20
> sudo service openafs-client force-start ("Starting AFS services:.")
> sudo service openafs-client force-reload ("Stopping AFS services:afsd: Sh=
utting down all afs processes and afs state")
> sudo service openafs-client stop ("Stopping AFS services:afsd: Shutting d=
own all afs processes and afs state")
>=20
> all stall at the given message shown in brackets. The inability to stop o=
penafs has also caused my ubuntu to be unable to restart or shutdown, stall=
ing at that message.=20
>=20
> Is there any way for me to see a more detailed log of errors when I try t=
o startup openafs-client? Any help is appreciated.

	sudo sh -x /etc/init.d/openafs-client start
should do the trick.