[OpenAFS] problem starting openafs-client in ubuntu 10.04

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:16:40 -0800

Sergio Gelato <Sergio.Gelato@astro.su.se> writes:

> I would have expected
> 	Starting AFS services: openafs afsd.
> (that's what it does on my Ubuntu 10.04 systems).

> Could it be that the kernel module is missing? The openafs-client package
> depends on openafs-modules-dkms | openafs-modules-source | openafs-modules2
> (and it's only a Recommends:, not a strict dependency) so if you've installed
> openafs-modules-source but not built the module, or if you have installed
> a package that Provides: openafs-modules2 but for a different kernel version,
> apt-get is not going to complain and the symptoms would be as you describe
> (at least as far as the "Starting AFS services:." line goes).

No, if the kernel module is missing entirely, the init script will detect
this and print out an error message saying that the kernel module needs to
be build.

If startup just hangs, that usually indicates some sort of problem with
and then started again without rebooting the system, for example.