[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:44:57 -0500

Late to this discussion, simply because i didn't have a moment to
compose a reply over the weekend.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 23:36:33 +0000
> Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> > We only just agreed to turn on by default the configure flag that
>> > lets you turn on restricted mode at all, for 1.6. I'd hope we'd wait
>> > another stable release cycle or two before making it the default
>> > (maybe 2.0?).
>>
>> I don't see the relationship here. Are you saying that every time we
>> ship a new feature we should ship it disabled, and then wait a couple
>> of release cycles before enabling it? Because that's going to get
>> boring really quickly.
>
> Features that are backwards-incompatible, and cause nontrivial downtime
> to revert, I'd hope we'd wait at least a release.

This. Also, I'd hope we are done with 1.6 soon (and should really nag
for feedback)
and making changes like this now? Not quality.

> And I thought we already discussed this last year, and we agreed to turn
> on the restricted capability by default, but not restricted mode on by
> default in 1.6.

That was my understanding.

--
Derrick