[OpenAFS] Re: Bash fails to execute on login

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:45:12 +0100

Quoting Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>:

> ... upon logging in with ssh,
>
> Logging in how? With GSS, using a password, ... ?

That's correct.

> I'm not clear on what exactly you mean by "bash fails to execute",

For instance, my color prompt is shown as a long list of escape
characters and the bash history doesn't work. The problem is solved
simply by executing "bash". The question is why this doesn't happen
automatically when I log in. The UNIX accounts don't have this problem.

In some cases, I don't end up in my home directory either when I log
in, although I can navigate to it and still have R/W access there. In
these cases $HOME contains e.g. "/jwinius" instead of
"/afs/umrk.nl/user/j/jw/jwinius".

> ... but I take it you can log in, but don't have tokens. (Running 'tokens'
> will tell you)

No, I receive a token; that's not the problem.

> Do you have Kerberos tickets after logging in? ('klist') If you run
> aklog, do you get tokens?

I already have a Kerberos ticket as well, just as "ldapwhoami" works,
and "pwd" usually shows that I am in the correct AFS home directory.

It feels like I'm missing something basic here.

Cheers,

Jaap