[OpenAFS] Ubuntu 10.04 Login Issues

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:50:57 +0100

On Dec 10, 2010, at 15:58 , Stephen Joyce wrote:

> I gave up gnome back around RedHat 8.x days due to issues with AFS =
homedirs. Has gnome with afs homedirs improved any since then?

Yes, it works quite well on EL3/4/5/6. We still export =
GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS=3D1, but I think it hasn't been required for a while =
now. And as of EL6, the trash bin works (no longer seems empty while =
anything dropped there is stored in ~/.Trash and eats up users' home =
quotas).

--=20
Stephan

> Anyway, we don't see the login problems you describe on Kubuntu 10.4. =
KDE does have its own issues with lingering processes, but nothing =
annoying enough to move to the top of my priority list.
>=20
> Are you using pam_afs_session? What do the relevant portions of your =
pam configs look like, if you don't mind sharing with the group? =
Actually first, are CLI console logins reliable and always get tokens? =
(might be chasing the wrong goose here, but wanted to start with the =
basics).
>=20
> --
> Stephen
>=20
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Thomas Briggs wrote:
>=20
>> We use a mixed environment of Ubuntu 10.04 and Mac OSX machines in =
our labs and classrooms.  After our upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, are users =
are noticing that the first time they log in, GDM accepts their =
password, starts a session, and then terminates.  They can usually log =
in the second time, though sometimes it takes two or three tries.  After =
a few days of running, a 'ps -eaf' shows stray processes from just about =
every user, and every login session since the last reboot.
>>=20
>> Why am I asking here?  Because this doesn't seem to be widespread =
Ubuntu problem, and I suspect it has something to do with the =
interaction between some new aberration of nature in Ubuntu 10.04 (and =
there are many) and the user's home directories, which are on AFS, and =
hopefully there is another school using it for their classrooms like we. =
 Also, people on this group seem to be more helpful, patient, =
intelligent, and just downright better people :-)

--=20
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-
Platanenenallee 6