[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Client Service stopping on smb_LanAdapterChangeThread thread creation failure

Kevin Sumner kevin.sumner@gmail.com
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:45:18 -0500

Hi guys,

This week, I did a clean install of Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit on a
somewhat older laptop, patched it up, joined it to AD, antivirus, etc.
 I installed of the OpenAFS  1.5.78 client from the .EXE, then
installed KfW 3.2.2 on top, configured them for our Kerberos realm and
AFS cell (isis.unc.edu).  Nothing during the installation indicated an
issue.

On reboot, the AFS service tries to start up and crashes.  If I then
go into the services list and start it manually, it will start up and
run along merrily until the next reboot; I'm able to work on files,
etc. while it runs.  KfW gets tickets and (supposing the AFS service
is running) tokens without a problem.

I get the following AFS Client events in the system log:
Information	12/10/2010 4:53:05 PM	AFS Client	4133	None
  Security Level is Crypt.
Information	12/10/2010 4:53:05 PM	AFS Client	4124	None
  OpenAFS Start Pending.
Information	12/10/2010 4:53:10 PM	AFS Client	4126	None
  OpenAFS Running.
Error	12/10/2010 4:54:13 PM	AFS Client	4130	None
  OpenAFS Stopping due to error (smb.c:10295):
smb_LanAdapterChangeThread thread creation failure.

I've already looked through the AFSLore WindowsTroubleshootingGuide
(specifically Client Service-relevant entries) and I'm in the process
of gathering trace logs and such as suggested by the Release Notes.
I've posted the AFS Client Windows log entries and the afsd_init.log
to here:
http://www.unc.edu/~ksumner/work/issues/2010-12-10_openafs_smb_LanAdapterChangeThread/

Any one have ideas what might be going on?

Thanks!
Kevin
-----
Kevin Sumner
ITS Enterprise Storage Management
CB# 1150, 440 W. Franklin Street, Office G408
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1150

ksumner@unc.edu

919.962.1547 (office)
919.445.9485 (fax)