[OpenAFS] GiveUpAllCallBacks callers

Derrick Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:03:52 -0500

On Dec 13, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Todd Lewis <utoddl@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>=20
> On 12/13/2010 02:52 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>> An alternate version of 3404, patchset one, includes an implementation
>> which cheats, namely, within a few months of GiveUpAllCallBacks being
>> fixed,
>> the GetStatistics64 RPC was introduced. Its existance would be used as
>> a sentinel that GiveUpAllCallBacks was safe to issue. However, this
>> was
>> objected to as it ties unrelated RPCs together.
>=20
> Indeed it does, but it's also a workable pragmatic solution to a real prob=
lem.

Pragmatism is not necessarily at home with good release engineering. I resea=
rched and wrote that solution knowing it was perilous and others would likel=
y object. I cannot stand firmly behind it but I do believe it is the only pr=
obably safe solution for today; it just adds potential complication for tomo=
rrow

> I could see putting a sunset date on the technique. You might also log a w=
arning based on it so vulnerable admins could get a clue. This seems like a g=
reat way to move forward to me in spite of the unrelated RPC tying ineleganc=
e.