[OpenAFS] Re: GiveUpAllCallBacks callers

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:28:56 -0600

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:47:22 -0500
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > b) Do something with the version string in the meantime
>
> i'm not wild about this.

I kinda would want to explore this more. This doesn't seem worse than
the GetStats approach, and makes a certain amount of additional sense.
It doesn't catch all cases, but it catches the common case where someone
builds the code without changing anything or doing anything special.

It also does not affect other potential implementations and avoids
implicit relationships between otherwise unrelated parts of the
protocol. At least, in theory; it obviously ties the RX version response
to GUACB behavior but I think that makes it very very obvious that it's
a minor implementation-specific quirk.

I'm unsure of the reliability of rx version packets, though. And the
existing libraries I think make this more annoying and involved than a
regular RXAFS call, which makes this much less appealing...

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net