[OpenAFS] Preferred way to do backup? [Was] Re: best way to control "butc" tape host process?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:41:16 -0500

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Assarsson, Emil
<Emil.Assarsson@sonyericsson.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion. I actually ran into a problem pretty fast after setting it up via bos.
>
> Are there a better method of doing backups now days than using the backup utilities?

That's a subjective question. It really depends on what else you have
at your site, what you want to back up to, what you're comfortable
with.

TSM supports AFS. So does TiBS. Don't want a commercial product? There
are tools to allow use of Amanda or Bacula. Or perhaps you want to
have
backups in the form of storage with volume dumps, in which case
scripts dumping to an HSM or something else elsewhere might be your
choice.

It also depends how you define "better" :)

--
Derrick