[OpenAFS] Package Management in AFS

Booker Bense bbense@slac.stanford.edu
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:26:23 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently thinking about a good way to deploy software packages in
> (eventually replicated) AFS volumes. One possible way I can think of is
> to use (x)stow, but that would imply a lot of manual work (download,
> unpack, compile, install to rw volume, xstow, vos release).
>
> Does anyone know of a simpler (more automated) solution, maybe something
> like Gentoo portage or Nix?

My 2 cents... Outside of a few very specialized apps, putting
software in AFS is a losing proposition these days. Since local
disk space is growing so fast, there really is little
justification for not simply using the package management system
of the OS and simply installing locally.

AFS is a great place to store rpms, dpkgs, etc... But there is so
much sysadmin overhead in deploying apps in AFS, that unless you
have a very standardized client base it simply isn't worth it for
99.9% of applications.

- Booker C. Bense