[OpenAFS] Package Management in AFS

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs@altum.de
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:34:23 +0100

Am 20.12.2010 19:26, schrieb Booker Bense:

> My 2 cents... Outside of a few very specialized apps, putting software
> in AFS is a losing proposition these days. Since local disk space is
> growing so fast, there really is little justification for not simply
> using the package management system
> of the OS and simply installing locally.

That would again mean that the sw had to be installed over and over
again, on every single machine. That may be OK for 2 or 5 machines, but
for a larger number this becomes a tedious task. And what about diskless
clients?

> AFS is a great place to store rpms, dpkgs, etc... But there is so
> much sysadmin overhead in deploying apps in AFS, that unless you have a
> very standardized client base it simply isn't worth it for
> 99.9% of applications.

I don't get that point. If there was an AFS aware package manager out
there (which was my question), then that overhead would drop to (nearly)
zero.

Bye...

	Dirk