[OpenAFS] Ubuntu 10.04 Login Issues

Thomas Calderon calderon.thomas@gmail.com
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:40:57 +0100

--00221532c7ac71587a04980341a3

Hi,

We are also using Ubuntu 10.04 paired with AFS home dirs and I am facing a
hard problem with Gnome. Opening and closing sessions work flawlessly, but
when users lock their workstation at night, they can't unlock it the
following morning. Of course their TGT and AFS tokens expire overnight,
which is the main cause of the problem. I read in the discussion that a
GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS variable might exist, which sounded promising but has no
effect nowadays. The problem only occurs with Gnome, KDE is fine. I spend
many ours trying to debug this issue.

The issue is reproductible for me using this approach:
  running gnome-screensaver in debug
  renew TGT with 10 seconds lifetime and lock
  wait 15 minutes -> the GUI is freezed
  killing in console gives back the GUI and I can renew TGT in a terminal

ex:
  cd /tmp
  apt-get source gnome-screensaver
  cd gnome-screensaver-xxx/src/
  sh debug-screensaver.sh (can be tuned to send log to /tmp/xxx.log)
  kinit -l 10 xxx@MYREALM.COM

Any of you could point me in a direction on how to solve this ? I might end
up using xlock or xscreensaver, but I'd prefer to stay close to the
"default" environement.

Regards,

Thomas.

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Briggs <tbriggs@cs.ship.edu> wrote:

> We use a mixed environment of Ubuntu 10.04 and Mac OSX machines in our labs
> and classrooms.  After our upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, are users are noticing
> that the first time they log in, GDM accepts their password, starts a
> session, and then terminates.  They can usually log in the second time,
> though sometimes it takes two or three tries.  After a few days of running,
> a 'ps -eaf' shows stray processes from just about every user, and every
> login session since the last reboot.
>
> Why am I asking here?  Because this doesn't seem to be widespread Ubuntu
> problem, and I suspect it has something to do with the interaction between
> some new aberration of nature in Ubuntu 10.04 (and there are many) and the
> user's home directories, which are on AFS, and hopefully there is another
> school using it for their classrooms like we.  Also, people on this group
> seem to be more helpful, patient, intelligent, and just downright better
> people :-)
>
> -tom

--00221532c7ac71587a04980341a3

Hi,<br><br>We are also using Ubuntu 10.04 paired with AFS home dirs and I a=
m facing a hard problem with Gnome. Opening and closing sessions work flawl=
essly, but when users lock their workstation at night, they can&#39;t unloc=
k it the following morning. Of course their TGT and AFS tokens expire overn=
ight, which is the main cause of the problem. I read in the discussion that=
 a GCONF_LOCAL_LOCKS variable might exist, which sounded promising but has =
no effect nowadays. The problem only occurs with Gnome, KDE is fine. I spen=
d many ours trying to debug this issue. <br>
g gnome-screensaver in debug<br>=C2=A0 renew TGT with 10 seconds lifetime a=
nd lock<br>=C2=A0 wait 15 minutes -&gt; the GUI is freezed<br>=C2=A0 killin=
g in console gives back the GUI and I can renew TGT in a terminal<br>
=A0 cd gnome-screensaver-xxx/src/<br>=C2=A0 sh debug-screensaver.sh (can be=
 tuned to send log to /tmp/xxx.log)<br>=C2=A0 kinit -l 10 <a href=3D"mailto=
:xxx@MYREALM.COM">xxx@MYREALM.COM</a><br>
ight=20
end up using xlock or xscreensaver, but I&#39;d prefer to stay close to the=
div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Briggs <s=
pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tbriggs@cs.ship.edu">tbriggs@cs.ship.=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">We use a mixed en=
vironment of Ubuntu 10.04 and Mac OSX machines in our labs and classrooms. =
=C2=A0After our upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, are users are noticing that the fi=
rst time they log in, GDM accepts their password, starts a session, and the=
n terminates. =C2=A0They can usually log in the second time, though sometim=
es it takes two or three tries. =C2=A0After a few days of running, a &#39;p=
s -eaf&#39; shows stray processes from just about every user, and every log=
in session since the last reboot.<br>

Why am I asking here? =C2=A0Because this doesn&#39;t seem to be widespread =
Ubuntu problem, and I suspect it has something to do with the interaction b=
etween some new aberration of nature in Ubuntu 10.04 (and there are many) a=
nd the user&#39;s home directories, which are on AFS, and hopefully there i=
s another school using it for their classrooms like we. =C2=A0Also, people =
on this group seem to be more helpful, patient, intelligent, and just downr=
ight better people :-)<br>

-tom<br>