[OpenAFS] Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Login Issues

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:09:20 -0500

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:40:57 +0100
Thomas Calderon <calderon.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is reproductible for me using this approach:
>   running gnome-screensaver in debug
>   renew TGT with 10 seconds lifetime and lock
>   wait 15 minutes -> the GUI is freezed
>   killing in console gives back the GUI and I can renew TGT in a
>   terminal

Can you open new terminals/windows/etc after killing the screensaver
before renewing tickets/tokens? We (ACM@UIUC) used to have a problem
similar to this that was due to users' Xauthority files going in their
homedirs (in AFS) by default, so new X windows could not be created when
they lost tokens. And gnome's screensaver makes a new window to prompt
for a password on unlock, whereas some others (xlock, maybe others)
don't, so the other ones worked.

We solved it by changing the GDM UserAuthDir and UserAuthFBDir
configuration directives to point at local disk. That was a while ago,
so I'm not sure if things are different these days, but looking at where
$XAUTHORITY is pointing could be it.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net