[OpenAFS] disconnected operation in new release

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:56:34 +0000

On 9 Feb 2010, at 00:42, olin.afs.7ia@shivers.mail0.org wrote:

> The "recent news" section of the openafs.org home page says that the
> recent release provides "disconnected AFS," something that interests
> me very much. But I cannot find anything about disconnected operation
> in the documentation.

It's only in the 1.5 development series, and there isn't much =
documentation currently available. Here's a quick summary...

The code needs to be built with --enabled-disconnected (which Mac OS X =
builds, and some Linux packages already have enabled).

Before working offline, you first need to populate your cache with =
something like:

find /path/of/files/i/want/while/disconnected | xargs cat > /dev/null

Then

fs discon offline

will disconnect you from the AFS fileservers. You can then modify any of =
the files you populated earlier and

fs discon online

will replay any changes you have made back to the fileserver. The one =
caveat, currently, is that your cache is not preserved across reboots. =
If you reboot, or if your machine crashes, before you go back online, =
then any changes you made locally will be lost.

Cheers,

Simon.