[OpenAFS] write permissions without locking?

Gémes Géza geza@kzsdabas.hu
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:58:37 +0100

--------------070406020208060903040807

Jeffrey Altman írta:
> On 2/19/2010 1:01 PM, Gémes Géza wrote:
>
>> Shortly, the answer is yes.
>> A longer one the clients in question are Windows XP SP3 with KB955535
>> and KB971421 applied, OpenAFS 1.5.7000
>> The applications are mainly from MSOffice2003: mostly Word and Excel.
>>

> The answer is that Word and Excel explicitly request exclusive byte
> range locks on the files that are open.  Since AFS does not support
> byte range locks, these become exclusive full file locks which prevent
> file sharing across machines.   The only way to disable this behavior
> is to disable the acquisition of file locks from the file server.  There
> is a registry key that will permit this.  It restores the behavior of
> the pre-1.4 Windows clients.  However, doing so opens the door for two
> copies of Word to write to the file at the same time and corrupt the
> contents.  The registry key is documented in the release notes in
> Appendix A.
>
> The current version of OpenAFS for Windows is 1.5.7200.  This contains
> an important fix to the Rx RPC library that will improve performance
> and reliability.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

Thank you!

I will upgrade ASAP (probably on Monday as this is performed
automatically via wpkg).
About the disable of the lock, I will reflect about which variant is
going to cause less pain in the long term.

Thanks

Geza

--------------070406020208060903040807

<head>
</head>
Jeffrey Altman írta:
    <pre wrap="">Shortly, the answer is yes.
A longer one the clients in question are Windows XP SP3 with KB955535
and KB971421 applied, OpenAFS 1.5.7000
The applications are mainly from MSOffice2003: mostly Word and Excel.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
[...]

Thank you!<br>
I will upgrade ASAP (probably on Monday as this is performed
automatically via wpkg).<br>
About the disable of the lock, I will reflect about which variant is
going to cause less pain in the long term.<br>
Thanks<br>
Geza<br>

--------------070406020208060903040807--