[OpenAFS] Trying to use OpenAFS-1.5.xx with Linux

Dale Pontius pontius@btv.ibm.com
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:15:54 -0500

I'm attempting to get OpenAFS-1.5.xx running with Linux, in order to
gain disconnect/reconnect capability on a laptop.  I normally run 1.4.11
or 1.4.12_pre for normal use.  (Running 1.4.12_pre to get something that
will work with a 2.6.33-rc kernel.)

I've made 3 stabs at it so far.  (By the way, on 2.6.33-rc8 with Gentoo
Linux)
1.5.69 built OK, but segfaulted as soon as I tried to start the client
daemon.
1.5.71 built OK and started OK, but results were horribly inconsistent.
Sometimes I could klog and get a token, sometimes not.  I never saw /afs
properly mounted with content.

I had the most success with 1.5.72.  It built, started, and mounted
/afs.  I could see my home directory and another departmental directory
over which I have control.  That departmental directory had several
mount points directly under it, and I could see those, as well.  It also
had a directory "Data" and several mount points, "dataN" (for several
values of N) and I could NOT see those, no mount point, no data, nothing.

I also tried "fs discon -offline" and indeed got offline, with
anticipated data visiblity.  But when I tried "fs discon -online" I was
told as both root (no token) and myself (with token) that I didn't have
enough authority.

I've not doubt that some of these problems are of my own making, but
haven't see a lot of discussion of OpenAFS-1.5 with Linux to start
learning from others.

Is more information or advice available, so I can start hammering out
these problems?

Dale Pontius

--
Dale Pontius
Senior Engineer

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying it and notify sender of the misdirection by reply e-mail.