[OpenAFS] file ownership for root (UID 0)

"Karl Tißner" tissner@gmx.de
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:21:35 +0100

Hello openafs-info,

This seems to me like an frequently asked question, but I didn't find the answer searching the web.

When writing into an AFS directory, the file ownership is set to the appropriate AFS id, not the Unix UID of the the user, who is creating a file (as described in http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/ch02s08.html)

As long as the AFS and the Unix UID match, this behaviour does not lead to problems. But is there an way to automatically use the Unix UID for newly created files?

Since it is not possible to create an user with AFS UID "0", all files created by root are not owned by root (Debian Linux, root has UID 0):

  # pts createuser -name testtest -id 0
  0 isn't a valid user id; aborting

What is the standard way to handle this problem?

Thank you,
Karl