[OpenAFS] file ownership for root (UID 0)

"Karl Tißner" tissner@gmx.de
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:50:32 +0100

> > Since it is not possible to create an user with AFS UID "0", all files
> > created by root are not owned by root (Debian Linux, root has UID 0):
> >
> > # pts createuser -name testtest -id 0
> > 0 isn't a valid user id; aborting
> >
> > What is the standard way to handle this problem?
>
> By declaring it not a problem, but desired behavior. Root is a local id,
> not a network id. A member of system:administrators can chown existing
> files to root, but that's as close as you're going to get I think.

That's not really a satisfying solution. I'm forced to use the root account, since I chroot into an AFS directory, which is the root directory on a server using AFS mounted clients (for network boot). Files created by root should be owned by root immediately.

How do others handle this? I really can not imagine, that I am the only one using such a configuration.

--
Preisknaller: GMX DSL Flatrate für nur 16,99 Euro/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02