[OpenAFS] Recommended way to start up OpenAFS on Solaris 10?

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:56:36 -0600

On 1/29/10 5:02 AM, "Atro Tossavainen"
<atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi> wrote:
=20
> Is everybody still writing their own SMF bits to start OpenAFS on
> Solaris 10 without /etc/init.d bits, or is there already a Received
> Way of doing this?

It's bothered me for some time that a basic infrastructure item like AFS is
distributed in a way that bypasses the OS software management system on mos=
platforms. I guess it's a time/resources thing, but still -- seems wrong,
somehow. It's not that hard to do, especially on Solaris and AIX.

I spent some time this week looking at why OpenAFS for Solaris isn't
distributed as a installable package instead of a tarball. I wrote some
scripting to do a proper Solaris SMF item for startup as part of the
post-install action in the package. If you have suggestions on the
implementation -- particularly what you think the canonical location for
files should be if you're not using Transarc paths -- let's share notes
off-list.=20

I'll try to get around to send this (and the AIX installp stuff) upstream a=
some point in the future. Not a high priority for me at the moment.