[OpenAFS] Recommended way to start up OpenAFS on Solaris 10?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:31:17 +0000

On 29 Jan 2010, at 10:56, David Boyes wrote:
>=20
> It's bothered me for some time that a basic infrastructure item like =
AFS is
> distributed in a way that bypasses the OS software management system =
on most
> platforms.=20

Well, it's available as part of the normal software management system on =
(at least) Windows, Mac OS X, Debian, RedHat & Fedora, SuSe and Gentoo. =
I think OpenAFS is also available from the ports system on some of the =
BSDs. But still, it's definitely something that can be improved.

> I'll try to get around to send this (and the AIX installp stuff) =
upstream at
> some point in the future. Not a high priority for me at the moment.

Ultimately this is the key issue. Until it becomes a high priority for =
someone, and that person publishes the necessary configuration, this =
isn't going to improve. Equally critically, we need people to take =
responsibility for maintaining the packaging as releases occur.

Any volunteers?

Simon.