[OpenAFS] Windows client: "Mount points must be created within the AFS file system".

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:41:08 +0200

On behalf of Anders Hannus;

yes, it makes a difference, but not a good one.  It neither complains=20
nor creates a mountpoint:

H:\>.\fs.exe -version
OpenAFS_1.5.5900

H:\>.\fs.exe  mkm \\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA staff.ragge

H:\>fs rmm \\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA
fs: File '\\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA' doesn't exist

H:\>"c:\Program Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\fs.exe"  mkm=20
\\afs\ltu.se\staff\r\ragge\AAAA staff.ragge
fs: mount points must be created within the AFS file system

H:\>"c:\Program Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\fs.exe"  -version
OpenAFS_1.5.7400

-- Ragge

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Try the version of fs.exe that works for you on the system that fails.
> Does that make a difference?
>
> On 6/29/2010 10:01 AM, Anders Hannus wrote:
>  =20
>> And for the question:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\anha-rsa>fs getfid \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha
>> Directory \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha (536870933.1.1) contained in cell =
ltu.se

>> /anders

s.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Altman
>> Sent: den 29 juni 2010 15:18
>> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
>> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Windows client: "Mount points must be created w=
ithin the AFS file system".

>> Anders:
>>
>> Unfortunately this doesn't help because as you have shown it works wit=
>> 1.5.73 and there were no changes between 1.5.73 and 1.5.74 which affec=
>> the traversed source code paths.  The pioctl debugging indicates that =
>> file not found error is being returned from the cache manager.
>>
>> What is the output of
>>
>>   fs getfid \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha
>>
>> on the machine experiencing the problem?
>>
>> Jeffrey Altman
>>
>> On 6/29/2010 3:48 AM, Anders Hannus wrote:
>>    =20
>>> This is with 1.5.73 on Windows 7.
>>>
>>> H:\>fs whereis \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha
>>> Directory \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha is on host adam.its.ltu.se
>>>
>>> H:\>fs whereis h:\
>>> Directory h:\ is on host adam.its.ltu.se
>>>

>>> With 1.5.74 on Windows 2003 Server
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\anha-rsa>fs whereis \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\an=
ha
>>> Directory \\afs\ltu.se\staff\a\anha is on host adam.its.ltu.se
>>>
>>> And the command that fails:
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\anha-rsa>fs mkmount -dir \\afs\ltu.se\staff=
\a\anha\tes
>>> t -vol staff.anha.backup
>>> pioctl temp !=3D 0: 0x66543205
>>> fs: mount points must be created within the AFS file system
>>>

>>> Hope that this helps.
>>>
>>> /anders hannus

out what is needed or if we just need to file a bug report.

 not. I don't know exactly when it stopped working as I found out about t=
his as I have some powershell scripts that stopped working when upgrading=
 from .59 to .74. It's thus quite annoying as I have to run these scripts=
 on a server we still have not upgraded.

ws XP and Windows 7. Both with the command and from the explorer GUI. It =
works if afs is mounted as a letter within windows but not with unc paths=
. I got one powershell script working then using the set-location command=
 to change she execution location to the unc path. Somehow that didn't so=
lve the problem in another script.

afs.org] On Behalf Of Anders Magnusson