[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on an OSX xserve (?)

Tom Briggs tbriggs@cs.ship.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:47:24 -0400

--e0cb4e887a6f08510e048bef43d9

Dear OpenAFS community:

I am working on integrating a new Apple XServe into our AFS server install,
currently three Linux servers.  I've been noticing some very strange things:

(1) I found a null-pointer reference in the *backup* program which I fixed,
and will send out a patch in the near future

(2) After much hacking, I have the OSX version 1.5.74 working (mostly).
 Does anyone have *any* experience with using /vicepa on an HFS+ volume?
 does it need to be case sensitive?  I've noticed that every volume I put
there eventually eats itself due to corruption, until vos listvol shows it
as off-line.

(3) That brings me to my third question, does anyone know of any bugs with
the butc program on OSX?  I just tried to restore a volume (see #2 above),
and butc failed to read, giving an error of "Can't read FileBegin on tape".
 I nfs-exported the backup volume to one of the linux servers, set up
another butc coordinator, and am (presently) restoring my volume onto one of
the linux servers.  So, the evidence suggests that there is a bug in the
butc program that only shows up on OSX, and only when reading the file.

So, I've noticed that there isn't much in the Google Brain about OSX as an
AFS server... are there others?  how has your milage varied?

-tom
---------
Tom Briggs, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania

--e0cb4e887a6f08510e048bef43d9

w Apple XServe into our AFS server install, currently three Linux servers. =
v>
(1) I found a null-pointer reference in the <b>backup</b> program which I f=
>(2) After much hacking, I have the OSX version 1.5.74 working (mostly). =
=A0Does anyone have *any* experience with using /vicepa on an HFS+ volume? =
=A0does it need to be case sensitive? =A0I&#39;ve noticed that every volume=
 I put there eventually eats itself due to corruption, until vos listvol sh=
ows it as off-line.</div>
ow of any bugs with the butc program on OSX? =A0I just tried to restore a v=
olume (see #2 above), and butc failed to read, giving an error of &quot;Can=
&#39;t read FileBegin on tape&quot;. =A0I nfs-exported the backup volume to=
 one of the linux servers, set up another butc coordinator, and am (present=
ly) restoring my volume onto one of the linux servers. =A0So, the evidence =
suggests that there is a bug in the butc program that only shows up on OSX,=
 and only when reading the file.</div>
t much in the Google Brain about OSX as an AFS server... are there others? =
Tom Briggs, PhD<br>Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science<br>S=
hippensburg University of Pennsylvania<br><br>

--e0cb4e887a6f08510e048bef43d9--