[OpenAFS] Re: user home directory replication

Jonathan Nilsson jnilsson@uci.edu
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:45:12 -0700

--0016e64e9d20d907e8048bffff89

Strangely, this message was just delivered to me now, or I would have
commented sooner.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 13:47, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:00:39 -0400
> Brandon S Allbery KF8NH <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking simulated tiered backup volumes by snapshotting an
> > existing (presumed daily) backup volume every month or so.  It would
> > have to be managed manually/by custom scripting, of course, but it's
> > safer on the user end than trying to snapshot with "vos release".
>
> So every month 'vos clone' to a "monthly" backup volume in addition to
> the daily. Does that do what you're thinking, or am I missing something?

This is not clear to me: why is vos clone "safer on the user end than trying
to snapshot with vos release" ?

I was planning to have a script iterate through the volumes that I want to
backup and run 'vos release <volume_name>', then 'backup dump
<volume_set>'.  In the backup database I've defined a <volume_set> to
include all volumes on my "backup file server" which is just a file server
that is added as a RO site for all my volumes.  Now I've got a dump archive
and a "hot-spare" RO copy of my data.

It seems to me that "vos clone" is not as effective because of some
limitations which I read in the man page (correct me if these are incorrect
or outdated):
 1) it must reside on the same server as the RW volume (no fast recovery
from a hardware failure, still have to restore from a dump)
 2) there can only be 4 clones of a volume (that doesn't take me very far
back for archiving. users expect to be able to restore quickly from up to a
month ago)
 3) you can't "vos move" a clone (no mobility)

Of course, I realize I'm relatively new to OpenAFS, so I'm trying to glean
as much knowledge from you all as possible.  My solution is just what I came
up with when I looked at the available operations I can perform on a volume.

Regards,

--
Jonathan

--0016e64e9d20d907e8048bffff89

Strangely, this message was just delivered to me now, or I would have comme=
7, Andrew Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adeason@sinenomine=

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">On Fri, 16 Jul 20=
10 20:00:39 -0400<br>
.cmu.edu">allbery@ece.cmu.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I was thinking simulated tiered backup volumes by snapshotting an<br>
&gt; existing (presumed daily) backup volume every month or so. =C2=A0It wo=
uld<br>
&gt; have to be managed manually/by custom scripting, of course, but it&#39=
;s<br>
&gt; safer on the user end than trying to snapshot with &quot;vos release&q=
uot;.<br>
lume in addition to<br>
the daily. Does that do what you&#39;re thinking, or am I missing something=
safer on the user end than trying to snapshot with vos release&quot; ?<br>

 to backup and run &#39;vos release &lt;volume_name&gt;&#39;, then &#39;bac=
kup dump &lt;volume_set&gt;&#39;.=C2=A0 In the backup database I&#39;ve def=
ined a &lt;volume_set&gt; to include all volumes on my &quot;backup file se=
rver&quot; which is just a file server that is added as a RO site for all m=
y volumes.=C2=A0 Now I&#39;ve got a dump archive and a &quot;hot-spare&quot=
; RO copy of my data.<br>

f some limitations which I read in the man page (correct me if these are in=
correct or outdated):<br>=C2=A01) it must reside on the same server as the =
RW volume (no fast recovery from a hardware failure, still have to restore =
from a dump)<br>

=C2=A02) there can only be 4 clones of a volume (that doesn&#39;t take me v=
ery far back for archiving. users expect to be able to restore quickly from=
 up to a month ago)<br>=C2=A03) you can&#39;t &quot;vos move&quot; a clone =
(no mobility)<br>

ng to glean as much knowledge from you all as possible.=C2=A0 My solution i=
s just what I came up with when I looked at the available operations I can =
perform on a volume.<br>

--0016e64e9d20d907e8048bffff89--