[OpenAFS] Re: user home directory replication

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:12:30 -0500

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:45:12 -0700
Jonathan Nilsson <jnilsson@uci.edu> wrote:

> Strangely, this message was just delivered to me now, or I would have
> commented sooner.

It's not just you; the lists have apparently been wonky since Sunday,
and someone kicked them today.

> Of course, I realize I'm relatively new to OpenAFS, so I'm trying to
> glean as much knowledge from you all as possible.  My solution is just
> what I came up with when I looked at the available operations I can
> perform on a volume.

What you describe sounds fine, and is done (in some form or another) at
other sites. I don't think using "vos clone" is something you should be
trying to do if you're new to OpenAFS, anyway.

I think Brandon was talking about using clones to have 'yesterday',
'last week', and 'last month' (et al) volumes all available to users all
the time. It's an interesting idea, but it has limitations as you have
noted, and if you want something like daily data for the past month
that's obviously not going to work.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net