[OpenAFS] XP client issue

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 11:00:30 +0300 (EEST)

I've just had somebody over who couldn't get OpenAFS to work on
their XP Home machine.   The machine is installed with the Russian
localisation of Windows so I had a bit of a hard time trying to
figure what was going on, but a fresh install of 1.5.74 produced an
error message when trying to "dir \\afs\openafs.org", for example,
that the user translated as "the maximum number of connections to
the server has been exceeded".

I couldn't see anything obvious in the afsd_init.log.

The name of the computer was something in non-ASCII (in Cyrillic,
with an underscore between two words).

I changed the name of the computer to the corresponding ASCII with
a dash between the two words and now it works.

Does this make any sense to anybody?

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,