[OpenAFS] win7 hangs during login at "welcome" - afs related?

Dave B botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:50:16 -0400

Anyone else seen this have any thoughts?

This is one of those annoying can't reproduce on command might happen
many times in a day then not for a couple of weeks type of bugs.

I don't know that this issue is afs related but am being asked to
investigate that possibility. We have had both oafs 1.5.65 and oafs
1.5.74 on Windows 7, both 32 and 64-bit. Win7 machines in a domain,
cross realm MIT Kerberos login (except for the Administrative user).
Integrated login attempted.

After putting in the username and password, sometimes the machine will
"hang" at the "Welcome" message (the little blue wheel keeps spinning).

If the hang involves a cross realm Kerberos user, pslist -t \\machine
does not show a mpnotify or krbcc32s running as subprocesses of the
logonui process. Process auditing would appear to show that mpnotify
never fired off. I can pskill logonui and get back to the ctrl-alt-del
login screen but the computer will just hang, again (a reboot by
pressing the reset button seems to fix it for a while).

If the hang has involved Administrator (not in MIT Kerberos) in the
domain, pslist -t \\machine *does* show mpnotify and krbcc32s both
running.

I've turned on both the afsd_service TraceOption and the Microsoft user
profile logging... nothing was ever logged in the log files, at least
when a MIT cross realm Kerberos user was involved. I have not
specifically managed to have both logging and an Administrator hang
happen yet, as I can't reproduce this on command.

Thoughts on where the issue might be and things to check out?

thanks!

--
David William Botsch