[OpenAFS] Re: "Starting AFS cache scan..."

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:25:19 -0500

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:35:46 +0000
Adam Megacz <adam@megacz.com> wrote:

> I've got my openafs cache in tmpfs (via a loopback-mount), so every
> time the machine comes up it sees an empty cache directory and spends
> some time "Starting AFS cache scan..." -- creating the directory
> structure.
>
> Unfortunately the AFS startup script returns before this process
> finishes.  This means that other startup scripts -- which depend on
> /afs being mounted -- will end up running before /afs has been
> mounted.
>
> Is there any way to change this behavior so that
> /etc/init.d/openafs-client doesn't yield control until it has at least
> attempted to mount /afs?

Debian?

I don't think there's any init script options or anything to do that,
but if you want to edit the init script locally...

If you just run afsd directly instead of backgrounding it, it sounds
like it'll do what you want. That is, replace the line in the script
that has "start-stop-daemon --start <stuff> /foo/afsd -- $AFSD_OPTIONS"
with just "/foo/afsd $AFSD_OPTIONS".

You could also possibly just wait for afsd to exit after launching it in
the background with some more start-stop-daemon usage... either way.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net