[OpenAFS] OpenAFS DB server on a Soekris box?

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:38:01 +0200

Quoting Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at>:

> As a DB server I guess it would be perfectly fine.

Sounds encouraging...

> I got a Atom330 class computer at home with debian and for a small
> network it could also handle the OpenAFS fileserver part quite well (not
> as fast as gigabit, but hey...).

MiniITX systems with Atom CPUs can be cheaper than a Soekris, but they =20
require more space, more power and typically have but one network =20
interface and one expansion slot. I want it to double as a =20
router/firewall, but multi-port NICs are much more expensive than they =20
should be, doubtless due to low demand.

> About SSD: I guess it would, but til yet no real life experience. SSD in
> a Win7 PC should survive 3 years, to.

I tried using an SSD as a server system disk a year ago, but it failed =20
within a few months, despite using mechanical disks for /var and =20
/temp. Others later chastised me for using an early, small, cheap OCZ =20
SSD instead of something more reliable, so hopefully that Western =20
Digital model will do a better job.

> But as a sidenote: some rumors are out, a cheap Xeon system with a low
> powered CPU would use less power in low usage times. ...

Currently, Xeon CPUs are quite expensive, but a cheap version sounds =20
like it would compete with the Atom. I'm not holding my breath on this =20
one.

Cheers,

Jaap