[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:34:46 -0400

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>> My current feeling is that it would be great if we could ship both
>> fileservers, side by side, with different executable names - but I
>> haven't looked at any of the code to see how complex this would be to
>> achieve.
>
> I haven't actually tried this... but at least from the perspective of
> the end result binaries, this seems simple. (the build process will be
> annoyingly longer, though, at least).
>
> 1.5 bosserver always understands the 'fs' and 'dafs' bnodes, I'm pretty
> sure, regardless of whether DAFS is enabled or not. So you can have an
> 'fs' bnode pointing at the non-DAFS binaries, and a 'dafs' bnode
> pointing at the DAFS ones. You should be able to switch between DAFS and
> non-DAFS just by stopping and starting the fs and dafs bnodes.

A caveat here is the set of volserver, salvager, and salvageserver
binaries: you need different ones for DAFS than for non-DAFS (iirc --
it's been a few years since I looked at that code).  That's not a
problem, of course; I'm just pointing that out as some may not be
aware of that.  Andrew, Tom,etc, if that's  not the case now, feel
free to clarify.

Thanks,
Steven