[OpenAFS] Re: Guidelines to speed up OpenAFS?

Claudio Prono claudio.prono@atpss.net
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:18:03 +0200

--------------080505080205060706010307

Andrew Deason ha scritto:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:06:11 +0200
> Claudio Prono <claudio.prono@atpss.net> wrote:
>

>> I have some problems of speed with AFS. I have a Intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz
>> with 1 Gb of ram, Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320
>> SCSI (rev 07) and external array MSA500.
>>

> Platform and OpenAFS version of server? Of the client? What's the
> connection between the server and client?

OpenAFS 1.4.8 on OpenSuSE 11.0 for server

Client VISTA/Seven with OpenAFS 1.5.71 for clients
> What parameters have you given to afsd and the fileserver? What cache
> size on the client?

afsd -stat 300 -dcache 100 -daemons 2 -volumes 50 -memcache -dynroot -afsdb

On Client the cache size is 98304 Kb, Chunk size is 256 Kb, Status Cache
is 10000 Entries
>> My average speed is 8 Mb/sec on write and something similar on read.
>> Is a little slow with this performances. My question is, what i can
>> try to make it more fast ? Any custom optimization, or something like
>> this to solve my problem?
>>

> I recall a while ago someone reporting a large performance increase by
> increasing -rxpck (on the client I think, but you could try the client
> and server, too). Try setting it to different values around the range
> 4000-10000 or higher, and see what happens. I think some of the recent
> RX changes improves this so you don't need such tweaking, but others may
> correct me.
>
> And, depending on the client version, the default chunksize may not be
> sane; try -chunksize 20. But not-old versions should get it right.
>
> If you provide the output of 'rxdebug <client> 7001 -rxstats' while
> you're reading or writing at a sustained 8Mbps-ish, it may indicate what
> is limiting you.

How i can increase the -rxpck on the Client or the server? is not clear
to me...

Sorry i don't understand how to provide the output of rxdebug...

Cordially,

Claudio Prono.

Claudio Prono                         OPST
System Developer
                                      Gsm: +39-349-54.33.258
@PSS Srl                              Tel: +39-011-32.72.100
Via San Bernardino, 17                Fax: +39-011-32.46.497
10141 Torino - ITALY                  http://atpss.net/disclaimer
PGP Key - http://keys.atpss.net/c_prono.asc

--------------080505080205060706010307

<head>
</head>
Andrew Deason ha scritto:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:06:11 +0200
Claudio Prono <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:claudio.prono@atpss.net">&lt;claudio.prono@atpss.net&gt;</a> wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I have some problems of speed with AFS. I have a Intel Xeon 3.2 Ghz
with 1 Gb of ram, Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320
SCSI (rev 07) and external array MSA500.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Platform and OpenAFS version of server? Of the client? What's the
connection between the server and client?

  </pre>
OpenAFS 1.4.8 on OpenSuSE 11.0 for server<br>
Client VISTA/Seven with OpenAFS 1.5.71 for clients<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">What parameters have you given to afsd and the fileserver? What cache
size on the client?

  </pre>
afsd -stat 300 -dcache 100 -daemons 2 -volumes 50 -memcache -dynroot
-afsdb<br>
On Client the cache size is 98304 Kb, Chunk size is 256 Kb, Status
Cache is 10000 Entries<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap=""></pre>
    <pre wrap="">My average speed is 8 Mb/sec on write and something similar on read.
Is a little slow with this performances. My question is, what i can
try to make it more fast ? Any custom optimization, or something like
this to solve my problem?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I recall a while ago someone reporting a large performance increase by
increasing -rxpck (on the client I think, but you could try the client
and server, too). Try setting it to different values around the range
4000-10000 or higher, and see what happens. I think some of the recent
RX changes improves this so you don't need such tweaking, but others may
correct me.

And, depending on the client version, the default chunksize may not be
sane; try -chunksize 20. But not-old versions should get it right.

If you provide the output of 'rxdebug &lt;client&gt; 7001 -rxstats' while
you're reading or writing at a sustained 8Mbps-ish, it may indicate what
is limiting you.

  </pre>
How i can increase the -rxpck on the Client or the server? is not clear
to me...<br>
Sorry i don't understand how to provide the output of rxdebug...<br>
Cordially,<br>
Claudio Prono.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Claudio Prono                         OPST
System Developer
                                      Gsm: +39-349-54.33.258
@PSS Srl                              Tel: +39-011-32.72.100
Via San Bernardino, 17                Fax: +39-011-32.46.497
10141 Torino - ITALY                  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://atpss.net/disclaimer">http://atpss.net/disclaimer</a>
PGP Key - <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://keys.atpss.net/c_prono.asc">http://keys.atpss.net/c_prono.asc</a>

</pre>

--------------080505080205060706010307--