[OpenAFS] Re: Read-only replication

George Ross gdmr@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:22:43 +0100

--==_Exmh_1276852962_8041P

> > If you're only using volumes for home directories, or things like gro=
up
> > collaboration space, then RO volumes are not very useful to you.
>=20
> Actually, that's definitely not true in my experience. See below.
>=20
> > As you mentioned, they can also 'kinda' be used for backup purposes,
> =5B snip =5D
> > I definitely wouldn't recommend that for home dirs or anything like t=
hat,
> > though, since from the user's perspective it looks like their data ju=
st
> > suddenly went back in time by a day. Usually it's not much better tha=
> > just having real backups.
>=20
> I'd strongly recommend considering them for this use - alongside a real=

> backup solution.

In addition to all that Simon writes (=22fire=21=22), I'd also mention th=
at we=20
saw considerable support-cost savings when we introduced easy user-access=
=20
to their =22yesterday=22 filesystems.  Our front-line support teams used =
to=20
field loads of =22oops, I just trashed this file, could you restore it fo=
r me=20
please?=22 calls.  Now, provided the users realise what they've done, and=
=20
usually they do, they can restore things from the previous day's state=20
themselves.
--=20
Dr George D M Ross, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
        10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH8 9AB
Mail: gdmr=40inf.ed.ac.uk   Voice: +44 131 650 5147   Fax: +44 131 650 68=
99
 PGP: 1024D/AD758CC5  B91E D430 1E0D 5883 EF6A  426C B676 5C2B AD75 8CC5

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

--==_Exmh_1276852962_8041P

--==_Exmh_1276852962_8041P--