[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:58:02 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> "Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>> Russ Allbery writes:
>>> I definitely agree that this is where we should go.  I don't think
>>> we're quite ready to be there right now, unless you feel that we should
>>> enable supergroups by default.  :)  (I can't reasonably turn it off in
>>> the Debian packages, where it's been enabled for quite some time,
>>> without causing obvious serious problems.)

>> what would be a good reason for not enabling by default?  no one is
>> forcing use to use supergroups even if the support is turned on.

Turning it on and not using isn't the issue.  Turning it off for those of us
(like me) who do use will obviously cause problems and won't encourage
people to upgrade to newer versions of OpenAFS.

> The code is dire verging on unsupportable and really needs to be
> rewritten.

If the code is so bad, why was it accepted in the first place?

This seems to be a completely different issue than supporting a specific
feature.  You cannot penalize people who are using what appeared to be a
supported feature because someone allowed said bad code in and now it cannot
be maintained.

<<CDC