[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 and post-1.6 OpenAFS branch management and schedule

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:56:34 -0400

In message <20100618093541.46bc13bc.adeason@sinenomine.net>,Andrew Deason writes:
>It's pretty easy to make a supergroup if it's turned on; you may not
>realize it's a specific feature to turn on. Once you have done so, your
>ptdb is now incompatible with ptservers without supergroups enabled.

this might happen if you ran mis-matched servers.  but best practices
would tell you this is a bad idea.

>But it's got to be turned on _sometime_. I think the current hesitation
>has something to do with that I keep getting told the supergroups code
>is awful and unmaintainable, and should be rewritten before made the
>default.

shouldnt have been accepted in the first place then.  now you cant
unring the bell.