[OpenAFS] Client synchronization issues/Client caches are not being updated

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:11:52 -0500

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Ken Elkabany <Ken@elkabany.com> wrote:
> I have six client machines all accessing a single openafs server. The server
> and five clients are running Ubuntu 9.10 with openafs 1.4.10. About 80% of
> the time when a client modifies files on the afs, the changes are not
> reflected on the other clients, even after the file has been closed (a zip
> file is unpacked in a directory, replacing all identically named files). If
> a new file is copied, often times the other clients will not see it.

This usually means a callback is being lost, and...

> Sometimes, after a couple minutes, the files are appropriately updated.

This would mean it's queued for later delivery and when the client
again becomes known to the fileserver it's delivered.

Do you have NAT in play?

> Oddly enough, the sixth client, which is running Ubuntu 9.04 with openafs
> 1.4.9, always has the changes properly reflected on it. However, I cannot
> guarantee that the openafs client version is the issue as the sixth client
> is not running in the same conditions (not in a virtual machine), and is
> also running external to the local area network of the other four clients.
> Is this expected behavior? I don't recall this being a problem when all our
> servers were on openafs 1.4.9. Is there a way to force the synchronization?

Fix your NAT to expire ports less often, or your clients to probe the
server more. I recommend the former.

--
Derrick