[OpenAFS] Re: afs.GCPAGs in current releases under Linux (RHEL4/5)

Eric.Hagberg@morganstanley.com Eric.Hagberg@morganstanley.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:37:32 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> However, if this was happening correctly, Eric should be seeing his
> system load peak and trough. Performance will be good every 10
> minutes, and then slowly deteriorate until the next garbage collector
> run comes along. From what he's reporting, that doesn't seem to be the
> case, which is causing me to wonder whether we're actually running
> GCUserData at all (we should be, as it's independent of the GCPAGS
> setting)

If I allow the pag garbage collection (as in the patch I listed in my
original email), then I see slow perf degradation, though minor, that
cycles every 10 minutes. But if I disable pag garbage collection, perf
just gets worse and worse. Eventually you start noticing shell sessions
hanging when idle time goes to zero and system time swamps the machine for
seconds at a time.