[OpenAFS] Filesystem Types & FSCK

J skyliner306@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:57:23 -0700 (PDT)

--0-93647250-1269269843=:14921

=A0
I'm running an OpenAFS/Debian=A0server on a 1 TB SATA=A0drive, connected=A0=
via=A0a 1520 Rocketraid PCI card=A0 (This is a "lab" and not a critical pro=
duction environment, if=A0that wasn't immediately apparent).
=A0
I had all my partitions set up as Ext3, but I started having trouble with F=
SCK checks at boot.=A0 FSCK would just hang on /vicepa, even when I tried r=
unning it manually, so I disabled the boot check on that (my AFS) partition=
.=A0 When I ran=A0my hard drive manufacturer's disk utility I found errors =
on the drive which were subsequently corrected.=A0 Then I read more about E=
xt3s journaling, speed, etc., and I decided to switch /vicepa to Ext2=A0(th=
e other partitions remain Ext3) just to see whether it made any difference.=
=A0 It seems that FSCK now runs without a problem.
=A0
So I'm wondering whether you have any advice or comments about any of this.=
=A0 Whether, for instance, it's bad to mix filesystem types in this context=
?=A0 Whether FSCK has issues with journaled filesystems?=A0 It seems=A0that=
 if I stay with Ext2, what I'm losing specifically is=A0 better chance of r=
ecovery in the event of a power loss or other event which might cause data =
loss.=A0 Since this is a test environment I realize I have nothing to lose,=
 but as always I appreciate the feedback.
=A0
John
=A0
=A0=0A=0A=0A
--0-93647250-1269269843=:14921

top" style=3D"font: inherit;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm running an OpenAFS/Debian&nbsp;server on a 1 TB SATA&nbsp;drive, c=
onnected&nbsp;via&nbsp;a 1520 Rocketraid PCI card&nbsp; (This is a "lab" an=
d not a critical production environment, if&nbsp;that wasn't immediately ap=
parent).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I had all my partitions set up as Ext3, but I started having trouble w=
ith FSCK checks at boot.&nbsp; FSCK would just hang on /vicepa, even when I=
 tried running it manually, so I disabled the boot check on that (my AFS) p=
artition.&nbsp; When I ran&nbsp;my hard drive manufacturer's disk utility I=
 found errors on the drive which were subsequently corrected.&nbsp; Then I =
read more about Ext3s journaling, speed, etc., and I decided to switch /vic=
epa to Ext2&nbsp;(the other partitions remain Ext3) just to see whether it =
made any difference.&nbsp; It seems that FSCK now runs without a problem.</=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So I'm wondering whether you have any advice or comments about any of =
this.&nbsp; Whether, for instance, it's bad to mix filesystem types in this=
 context?&nbsp; Whether FSCK has issues with journaled filesystems?&nbsp; I=
t seems&nbsp;that if I stay with Ext2, what I'm losing specifically is&nbsp=
; better chance of recovery in the event of a power loss or other event whi=
ch might cause data loss.&nbsp; Since this is a test environment I realize =
I have nothing to lose, but as always I appreciate the feedback.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>John</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
--0-93647250-1269269843=:14921--