[OpenAFS] Salvager running repeatedly

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:05:42 +0200 (EET)

> Good to hear you have it running with 1.4.12. We too run 1.4.11 on
> Solaris (but on sparc) with namei servers on ZFS, and have not seen this.
> So I am curious as to what may have happened.

I must have messed up somehow by assigning the server a new IP address
(in addition to its existing one), not restarting the fileserver,
changing default routes, not restarting the fileserver, removing the
old IP address and only then restarting the fileserver at which point
problems started appearing by the truckload. vos changeaddr must have
helped somehow.

> You compile 1.4.11 yourself. Did you try the OpenAFS pre-compiled 1.4.11
> which was also built with Sun Studio 12.

No.

> You said this was a new server. Was this the a brand new vice partition?
> .i.e. could this be some issue with the first time a fileserver
> is run against a new partition?

No.  The fileserver had been running fine for weeks.  I had a hardware
failure with one of our database servers that this one was eventually
intended to replace and I figured I'd transition the database services
onto the new box instead of trying to fix the database server any more.
At this point, I needed to make it possible for the new box to see
traffic to the db server IP address, and that is somehow how all trouble
began.

I'm OK now, fortunately.  I had a few "doh" moments there.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,