[OpenAFS] AFS version of du

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Sat, 1 May 2010 01:35:09 -0400

--Apple-Mail-305-179650309

On Apr 30, 2010, at 14:32 , Richard Brittain wrote:
> This solves my immediate need, and I'll probably use your mount
> point database too, but begs the question of why perl's
> File::Find module works fine, while 'find' breaks.  Underneath they
> are presumably making very similar system calls.

Similar system calls is only part of it.  The exact pattern of lookups
counts for a lot with respect to kernel resource usage; you might poke
at syslog when you get those failures to see if the kernel is whining
about something.  File::Find has gone through a lot of development
aimed at reducing its impact on the system, whereas in my experience
the GNU folks tend to prefer the throw-more-resources-at-it method.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

--Apple-Mail-305-179650309