[OpenAFS] AFS version of du

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Mon, 3 May 2010 11:38:13 -0400

On May 1, 2010, at 1:35 AM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2010, at 14:32 , Richard Brittain wrote:
>> This solves my immediate need, and I'll probably use your mount point =
database too, but begs the question of why perl's
>> File::Find module works fine, while 'find' breaks.  Underneath they =
are presumably making very similar system calls.
>=20
> . . . .  File::Find has gone through a lot of development aimed at =
reducing its impact on the system, whereas in my experience the GNU =
folks tend to prefer the throw-more-resources-at-it method.

The findutils developers seem to be an exception to this. In my =
correspondence with them they were pretty firm about not adding =
overhead. Their goal was that any features added that were specific to =
afs, cifs, etc should not add overhead to systems that did not have that =
filesystem type. I can't speak to how well they succeeded, but that was =
their goal.

Steve=