[OpenAFS] AFS version of du

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Mon, 3 May 2010 15:47:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Steve Simmons wrote:

>>> File::Find module works fine, while 'find' breaks.  Underneath they are presumably making very similar system calls.
>>
>> . . . .  File::Find has gone through a lot of development aimed at reducing its impact on the system, whereas in my experience the GNU folks tend to prefer the throw-more-resources-at-it method.
>
> The findutils developers seem to be an exception to this. In my correspondence with them they were pretty firm about not adding overhead. Their goal was that any features added that were specific to afs, cifs, etc should not add overhead to systems that did not have that filesystem type. I can't speak to how well they succeeded, but that was their goal.

Bear in mind that I got similarly broken results from Solaris 9 and
OSX/BSD verion of 'find' when scanning the top levels of the cell, so it
isn't unique to GNU.  The OSX find might include GNU code - it has a lot
of similar options beyond traditional Unix find.  A quick test showed
Solaris behaving itself today but OSX still giving the same errors.

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library