[OpenAFS] Re: Seamless adding of a replication server

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 3 May 2010 11:08:20 -0500

On Mon, 03 May 2010 11:34:18 +0200
"Karl Tißner" <tissner@gmx.de> wrote:

> The existing documentation I found explains the replication, if more
> than one server already exists, or the installation of a standalone
> new server. But how do I seamless integrate a new server in my cell?

I'm not sure what the difference between a "standalone new server" and
an "integrated new server" in a cell would be, so perhaps you already
have the instructions you need. But, to try and be sure, some
instructions are below, but they may include some things you already
know.

> We use Debian 5/6, which is delivered with helpful scripts afs-newcell
> afs-rootvol. But - do I have to install the "afs-newcell" (I do dot
> want a new cell, I already have one),

No, don't run that.

> do I have to call "afs-rootvol"

No, don't run that.

> When do I have to call the "bos addhost" command? I am quite unsure,
> as you can see ...

'bos addhost' is just for new dbservers; you're adding just a
fileserver. I don't have any step-by-step instructions I can point you
at (possibly because there aren't that many steps). But here's what I'd
say:

After you install OpenAFS on the new server, copy the contents of
/etc/openafs/server (also known as /usr/afs/etc) from the old server to
the new server. Do NOT copy the stuff in /var/lib/openafs/local (also
known as /usr/afs/local).

Then, setup the vicepX partitions however you want (I'm assuming you
know how to do that; if not, just ask). Run bosserver, and from there
you can run 'bos create' to setup the fileserver instance.  Normally
you'd want to run something like:

bos create newserver fs fs \
	/usr/lib/openafs/fileserver \
	/usr/lib/openafs/volserver \
	/usr/lib/openafs/salvager

(or edit BosConfig yourself before starting bosserver)

>From there, I'd verify that the new server is working, by
'vos create'ing some new volumes on it and making sure they work. Once
you're confident that the new server is working, you can run

vos addsite newserver <partition> <volume>
vos release <volume>

To make the new server a replication site for the volume <volume>, and
to release data to it. Note that I'm assuming you already have a
replication site on the old server, as well; if you don't, you should
add one there, first.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net